The WWF is run at a local level by the following offices...
The World Wide Fund for Nature seeks a Conservation Director for the Congo Basin
In order to deliver transformational conservation impact at scale and maintain WWF’s influence in the Congo Basin, we are looking for a dynamic and committed seasoned conservation professional for the position of Congo Basin Conservation Director. The incumbent will provide support to Country Directors to ensure that consistent and integrated approaches are developed to achieve that goal.
Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon
- Develop a common understanding of sub-regional trends and opportunities, and identify and accelerate the development, design and implementation of high quality initiatives that capitalize on these opportunities and deliver the greatest conservation impact on country and WWF global practice outcomes.
- Oversee the country strategic plan review/elaboration and ensure that the plans align with country and practice strategies/priorities.
- Contribute to prioritize and align institutional partnerships in the sub-region based on the Pan-Africa conservation strategy as it develops and country strategies.
- Promote WWF social policies and uphold social and environmental safeguard standards in the sub-region.
- Supervise and manage regional thematic program Coordinators/leads embedded in country offices - Cameroon, CAR, Gabon, DRC and RoC to achieve the objectives within the agreed time frame as defined in the Pan-Africa conservation strategy.
- Leverage synergies and develop capacity across countries.
- Establish and leads the technical conservation team.
- Ensure Conservation audits/evaluations.
- Act as Secretary of the Congo Basin Support Group.
- Regional Conservation leadership
- Support to Country Offices conservation work
- Support to Regional thematic programs, Global Practices and other broader frameworks
- Regional policy and partnerships
- Communication and Fundraising
- At least Masters’ degree (PhD preferred) in Environment, Natural Resources management related field;
- At least 15 years in a senior conservation leadership role;
- Experience of working in an international, matrix organization;
- Proven track record of managing internal and external multi-cultural stakeholders to influence and drive change;
- Clear evidence of enabling conservation delivery and experience in the Congo Basin;
- Good knowledge of the various national political, socio-economic and ecological contexts in the sub-region;
- Fluent in French and English- any other language/s of the sub-region an asset.
- Leading through influence’ skill and management style with focus on creating enabling environment for others;
- Demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and multiple donor budgets;
- Proven knowledge and experience of human rights and community based approaches to conservation
- Strong ability to bring together and inspire various teams together for impact delivery;
- Entrepreneurial approach and eye for spotting innovation;
- Superb interpersonal skills which helps connecting people, expertise and hence multiplying conservation impact;
- Superlative diplomatic and communication skills to bring teams and stakeholders together;
- Demonstrates WWF behaviours in way of working: Strive for Impact, Listen Deeply, Collaborate Openly, Innovate Fearlessly;
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
- Please consult the attached job description for more information on the position.
Email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
The subject should read CB-Cons Dir. Deadline for applications: February 10, 2020. Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for follow up. If you have not been contacted six weeks after closing, consider your application unsuccessful.
Female and African nationals applicants are encouraged.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce
Read the full publication
Job Description Congo Basin Conservation Director